Most granola in supermarkets are loaded with sugar, so I have put together this simple recipe that tastes just like granola but even better!
What you need:
- 4 cups of Jumbo Oats
- Either 1/4 cup Agave Nectar & 1/4 cup Fruit Sugar OR 1/2 a cup Agave Nectar OR 1/2 a cup Fruit Sugar
- 1/2 a cup of Goats Butter
- 2tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 1tsp of Cinnamon
- 1 pinch of Salt
Preheat oven at 325F/Gas mark 3. Put the oats into a mixing bowl. Put the Agave, Fruit Sugar, Vanilla, Cinnamon & Salt in a pan & melt together.
Once it has all melted combine the melted butter mixture with the oats until all is covered evenly. Put the mixture on to baking paper covered trays and spread evenly.
Cook for 15 minutes until golden brown. When you have removed it from the oven sprinkle on your raisins & chopped almonds & mix together gently. Leave to cool on the baking paper for 1 hour, then they are ready to be stored and eaten!
This is really simple and it tastes just as good as mulled wine!
All you need is:
- Orange peel of one clementine
- Half a tablespoon of cloves
- 3/4 of a cinnamon stick
- 1 carton of non-concentrated grape juice
- Half a cup of water
This makes 5-7 glasses, so half, double or triple depending on how many you’re making it for!
Now all you need to do is pour all the grape juice in a pan and add all the ingredients, put on a low heat until it is hot and serve into glasses! The longer it is simmered the stronger the cloves, cinnamon & orange flavours will be, either tastes yummy! Now enjoy without the fear of a hangover or sugar overload!
I am a lover of sweet treats but I know sugar has no nutritional value & it makes me tired, so instead I make my own at home with healthier ingredients!
What you need:
- 100g Rice Flour
- 100g Porridge Oats
- 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2tsp Xantham Gum
- 100g Goats Butter
- 50g Fruit Sugar
- 10 tbs Agave Nectar (also called agave syrup)
- 1 Handful of Raisins
- 1 Handful of Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 Handful of Hazelnuts
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Baking Paper
Because we are not using wheat flour, xantham gum (works as a binder) is recommended as rice flour doesn’t hold together as well without.
- Pre-heat oven and trays at gas mark 4 (180 c/350 f)
- Mix together rice flour, oats, bicarb, xantham gum, raisins, pumpkin seeds & crushed hazelnuts, leave for later
- Put your butter, agave nectar, fruit sugar & vanilla extract in a pan, stir occasionally & heat until melted on a low heat
- Pour butter mixture into flour mix and stir together with a wooden spoon
- Take out a small amount at a time, roll into a ball in your hands & then flatten to create more of a cookie shape
- Place on your tray & continue until you have used up all of your mixture
- Cook for 15 minutes, when done take them out and leave to cool, don’t be confused as to why they are crumbly, they harden when cooled!
Even though this is a healthier alternative, I do recommend that you only have this as a one off treat occasionally, to share with friends & family, because even though its fruit sugar (which is much better than other sugars) and agave which is a plant closely related to the Aloe Vera plant, it is still not good to have too much of!
If you know you have a busy day where you’ll need to grab a snack, think ahead & prepare yourself some Beetroot Crisps & Soy Pumpkin Seeds, they’re full of nutrition & wont make you put on weight.
Beet Crisps-How it’s Done:
- Pre-heat oven at gas mark 4 (180 degrees)
- Peel one beetroot and slice very thinly, if you have a Mandolin slicer..even better!
- Place in a bowl & toss in half a tsp of olive oil & half a tsp of sea salt.
- Lay them out individually on non-bleached baking paper
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (or until light in colour & crispy)
- Take them out and let them cool!
Soy Pumpkin Seeds-How it’s done:
- Pre-heat oven at gas mark 4 (180 degrees)
- Pour as many pumpkin seeds as you would like onto a baking tray
- Cover generously with Soya Sauce, Vegetable stock powder (i would recommend Boullion, can be found in most supermarkets) & Cayenne powder if you want them spicy!
- Mix it all together & spread seeds evenly
- Remove from oven after 8-10 minutes
Both of these recipes are cheaper and healthier alternatives to what you may find in shops & what’s even better is you know exactly what’s in it!
Beetroot is virtually fat free, low in calories, helps keep blood sugars stable, lowers cholesterol & is packed full of vitamins.
Pumpkin Seeds are packed full of fiber, vitamins, minerals, protein & help the body fight infections.
Cows do not drink cows milk & calves stop drinking it from the ages of 6 to 8 months, so why do humans drink it?
Humans have been conditioned into believing that a glass of cows (an 82 stone animal) milk a day makes your bones strong, but the reality is it makes you bones brittle, which leaves you more susceptible to bone fractures. Not only that, it damages the human immune system which can contribute & cause:
- Crohn’s Disease
- ADD & ADHD
- Diarrhoea & Constipation
- Breast Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Colon Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Autoimmune Disease
- Sinus Problems
“But surely ‘they’ wouldn’t sell it if it was so bad?” Of course they would. The fact is that these are huge companies driven by money & the opportunity is there to make millions. If people are kept in the dark, they keep earning.
Humans & animals have breast milk in the early years of their lives because that is when it is needed. After this we can get adequate calcium from other food sources such as: Brocolli, Cauliflour, Kale, Sesame Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Split Peas, Almonds, Oranges & more. We can replace milk with almond milk, rice milk, oat milk & soya milk (unless you are unable to breast feed your baby, then the milk closest to humans is goats) they may not have the milky taste you love, but wouldn’t you rather avoid the risk of being ill?
I find when you cut certain foods out of your diet, you become more creative & inventive with your cooking & eating habits, it may close the door to certain foods but it opens you to a whole lot more.
Aloe Vera is rich in vitamins, minerals, energy, amino acids (building blocks in protein & metabolism), sulphur, enzymes & natural cleansing compounds. It assists digestion & maintains good bacteria in the intestines.
I see a lot of these weird aloe vera drinks in corner shops these days with bits of aloe pulp floating around, i tried one once as a friend bought it, it tasted like sugar & soap with lumps of phlegm, it was disgusting & the nutritional value of the aloe vera practically disappears due to how much sugar they put in it!
This is Aloe Gold (which doesn’t contain any baddies) it can be purchased online at http://www.highernature.co.uk/. It is a high potency drink made from fresh whole aloe vera leaves, grown without pesticides, herbicides & chemical fertilisers, it is cold pressed with no added water or thickeners.
I add a cap full to a glass of water a day & it is already mixed with natural cranberry & cherry juice so instead of reaching for the shop bought juice, just have a glass of this, it will be much more beneficial to your health!
Cleansing & detoxifying is extremely important because we build up toxins & free radicals in our body from the environment, food, stress, smoking, drinking alcohol, which builds up in the liver and bowels which can lead to disease & health problems. In this quick shot I have used 100% organic Chlorella & Turmeric.
Chlorella is a freshwater plant that is often referred to as one of nature’s green superfoods & one of the most nutritionally dense foods in nature. It contains vitamins B, C & E & 58% protein & is the most common supplement used by the Japanese, who are the longest living race. It’s packed with Chlorophyll (the green pigment in plants) which works as a general detoxifier,builds immunity & cleanses the blood of impurities.
Turmeric has been used for over 2500 years in India & has many medicinal properties & has been proven to be beneficial in treating Cancer & Alzheimer’s disease. It’s a liver detoxifier, pain killer, skin healer, antiseptic & more.
How to Make it:
-If you do not have Chlorella you can do this with just Turmeric, or visa versa, it will still be very beneficial. Do this daily to keep your immune system strong & defend yourself from illnesses. You can mix Chlorella however & with whatever you wish, this is just how I like to do it.
- Put half a teaspoon of Turmeric into a cup
- Add one spoon of Chlorella
- Pour in a small amount of non-concentrated grape juice
- Stir & take as a shot
- Make sure you drink a glass of water afterwards, this is very important when detoxing as it helps to flush the toxins out of the body through urination.